Gift Card Scam

Remember: gift cards are for gifts, not for making tax payments. Many people give gift cards as a convenient gift for any occasion. Scammers use gift cards to steal your money. Here's how this usually works: The scammer may call you, impersonating an IRS agent, or contact you by text, email, or social media. The criminal [...]

Appealing An Examination Dispute

If IRS increased how much you owe, such as through an audit, and you disagree, in most cases you may be able to appeal the IRS' decision. The IRS Independent Office of Appeals, sometimes referred to as Appeals, is a separate organization within the IRS. Their mission is to resolve tax disputes fairly and impartially. They [...]

Preparing for Disasters

It's important to think about hurricanes, tornadoes, and other disasters so you're prepared in case they happen. This includes safeguarding your tax forms and other financial records. First, you could take advantage of electronic record keeping. See if you can receive your bank statements and related documents by email. For paper documents such as W-2s and [...]

Part-Time and Seasonal Jobs

Students and others often get part-time and seasonal jobs to earn extra money or to save for later. Many people don't realize that they may have to report and pay taxes on their income. When you start a job, you need to fill out a Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Certificate. Your employer uses this form to [...]

Day Camp and Other Child Care Expenses

When school's out on break, what do you do with your children? If you send them to a day camp, the money you pay may qualify for a tax credit when you file your taxes. This means you might get some money back. That's because day camp expenses can be used to claim the child and [...]

Go to Top