This video was published by the IRS.

If you changed your name after a recent marriage, divorce, or for some other reason, you need to notify the Social Security Administration of that change before you file your tax return. Otherwise, IRS computers can’t mind your new name with your Social Security number. Names that don’t match can cause problems when your return is processed. It could even delay your refund.

To update your records, use Form SS-5, the application for a Social Security card. You can get it from the Social Security Administration’s website at Whether you file Form SS-5 at your local Social Security office or by mail, you’ll need to provide documents to support your legal name change, such as an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate.

For more information, go to