This video was published by the IRS.
Thieves are working 24/7 to steal your identity. Here are some quick and easy steps you can take to protect yourself online:
- Use security software for computers and mobile phones and set it to update automatically.
- Use strong and unique passwords for all accounts.
- Use two-factor authentication whenever possible. Many financial institutions, media providers, and social media sites offer this feature.
- Backup your files on computers and mobile phones.
- Secure your WiFi. Thieves can eavesdrop on public WiFi or your personal WiFi if it’s not password protected.
- Shop at sites that start with HTTPS, because the “S” designates secure.
- Thieves have become more adept at compromising mobile phones, so make sure you secure your phone as you would your computer or tablet.
You can learn more about these basic steps and other safeguards at IRS.gov/taxessecuritytogether.