The following article was published by the IRS.

Are you recently married, or planning to get married before the end of this year? Marriage is a life event that will also affect your federal taxes. Here’s how:

Getting married means selecting a different status when filing your taxes. Why? Because if you’re married as of December 31, that’s your marital status for the whole year for tax purposes, and that means you will need to decide between the Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately status on your tax return. Though most couples choose to file jointly, the IRS website can help you determine which status is right for you. Just go to Keep in mind that many tax benefits are reduced, or not available for the Married Filing Separately status. But ultimately you will need to use the status that best fits your situation.

Here are some additional tips. If you or your spouse change last names, make sure you inform the Social Security Administration. When you file your tax return using a new name, it must match your name in the Social Security Administration’s records or the IRS won’t be able to practice your tax return. That could delay your refund.

Next, if you move, make sure you notify the post office so they can forward your mail. You can also use IRS Form 8822, which is the change of address form. Just fill it out and mail it to the IRS so they know where to send your refund check or contact you about your taxes. You can also use the form to tell the IRS of a name change.

Since marriage affects your taxes, you and your spouse may want to make sure the right amount of tax is withheld from your paychecks. Use the Tax Withholding Estimator at Then adjust your withholding if needed by filling out a new Form W-4 and giving it to your employer. You will find all this information and more at