This video was published by the IRS.

Do you need more time to file your tax return? Don’t worry, getting an extension of time to file is easy. You can get an automatic extension of six months by filing Form 4868. You will find it at

But remember – this is an extension of time to file, not an extension of time to pay. You still need to pay any tax you expect to owe by the regular due date. Try using IRS Direct Pay or one of the other electronic payment options that you will find at If you pay electronically first and mark it as an extension payment, then you don’t need to file a separate Form 4868.

If you can’t pay all that you owe, pay what you can and file anyway. That way you’ll minimize any penalty and interest charges. Then look at your payment options, such as applying online for a monthly installment agreement.

Special rules mean that some taxpayers don’t even need to ask for an extension. This includes taxpayers abroad, certain members of the military, and taxpayers affected by certain natural disasters.

Getting more time to file is easy. You can do it online, but pay what you owe, or as much as you can by the April due date. No matter what, make sure you file your return by the extension due date. For more information, go to