This video was published by the IRS.

Did you know that if there are mistakes on your tax return it can take longer to get your refund? Worse yet, you may owe additional tax.

Examples of common mistakes include:

  • Not choosing the right filing status. You can avoid this mistake by using the Interactive Tax Assistant on to help you choose the right one.
  • Not entering Social Security numbers and names for you, your spouse, and any dependents you are claiming exactly as they appear on everyone’s social security card is also a common mistake. So make sure you double check those. If your name changed after getting married or divorced, be sure to update that information with the Social Security Administration before filing a tax return using your new name.
  • Another problem is incorrectly claiming credits and deductions. This includes things like the Child Care Credit, the Premium Tax Credit, and the special standard deductions for senior citizens or people who are blind.
  • Another frequent error is incorrectly figuring out the taxable amounts of IRA distributions, pensions, and annuities or Social Security benefits. If you file a return on paper, pay close attention, because you may have to fill out a worksheet.
  • Math errors are common, as well as putting in the wrong routing or bank account number for the direct deposit of your refund.
  • Don’t forget to sign and date your return before mailing it. If you’re married and filing jointly, both spouses must sign and date the return. If not, the IRS will have to send it back to you for your signature.

For more information on how to avoid mistakes, go to